The biggest night of the year in Hollywood turns into one of the biggest podcast episodes of the year! Obviously, from the awards to the acceptance speeches, from the snubs to the (lack of a) host, the entire Oscars 2019 is fair game for Dean and Phil to dissect, analyze, critique and poke loving (?) fun at … They also discuss NON-Oscar movies, including a terrible animated sequel and a rather terrific Liam Neeson-starring remake of a Norwegian dark comedy. Plus, they tackle their long-teased conversation about remakes and reboots vs. long-delayed sequels. All that, plus, a boatload of celebrity deaths, including character actors, presidential candidates, and more!
Lily Holleman joins Dean Haglund and Phil Leirness for 80 minutes (plus!) of wedding talk, wine, Time’s Up, the 4 Percent Challenge, BAFTA Awards and a no-holds-barred, highly competitive round of “Celebrity Deaths”!
The Academy Award nominations were announced this week and of the eight films nominated for Best Picture, only five ranked highly with critics (“Roma”, “The Favourite”, “Black Panther”, “BlacKkKlansman” and to a far lesser degree, “A Star is Born”). Only one Best Picture nominee finished in the top ten at the box office (“Black Panther”, which was the biggest hit of the year) and only one other even finished in the top 25 at the Box Office (“Bohemian Rhapsody”). What does it all mean? Only that it’s Dean and Phil’s turn! Your friends in podcasting count down their respective Top Ten Films of 2019 during this week’s 88 minute installment of YOUR Chillpak Hollywood Hour!
Your friends in podcasting get 2019 underway with this epic 69 minute installment. As you loyal listeners know, last week, Dean and Phil only got through the first nine months of 2018 as they examined how and when the 52 best films (according to critics) and some of the biggest hits were released. This week, Dean and Phil tackle the final three months of the year, discussing no less than 20 awesome movies. Then, they switch gears to briefly discuss episodic binge-watching, tackling several television shows, including “The Man in the High Castle”, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”, “Norm Macdonald Has a Show” and more! Finally, Dean and Phil wrap things up by celebrating the lives of a brilliant comedic actor, the male half of one of the most iconic recording duos of the 1970’s, and a nun who became a television star. Happy New Year from YOUR Chillpak Hollywood Hour!
Seven important notes about this week’s show:
1) It’s our 600th episode!
2) It features a brand new version of the theme song appropriate to Dean’s relocation to the Motor City.
3) A horrible recording problem leads to a few choppy transitions at the start of the show and to an extremely bad electronic hum during the first 25 minutes or so of the show.
4) We have done the best we can to get rid of the hum and to at least make these first 25 minutes listenable, and you will want to bear with us as those minutes contain very personal conversation between Dean and Phil about things they love lost in the current SoCal fires, what they love that is seriously threatened by those fires, and about a great Canadian actor of Dean’s acquaintance who died this month. There is also a great story about baby diapers!
5) Several amazing movies get discussed – including the Sandra Bullock starring post-apocalyptic, action-horror vehicle Bird Box, the Coen Brothers rather amazing Western anthology feature The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, Alfonso Cuaron’s seminal black-and-white memory piece Roma and Dean and Phil’s very own The Lady Killers, which Dean has finally seen!
6) The show is 72 minutes long, with about 45 minutes of that boasting clean audio!
7) We wish you all a “Malkovich Hug”!