A lot of post-production work went into making this one of our best shows of the year! Dean regales with stories of drinking and jury duty, Phil remembers dear friend and true iconoclast Konrad Monti. Dean and Phil discuss Amazon’s “The Boys” (a show Dean might have actually influenced!) and the dire future of movie-going in the wake of James Bond and “Black Widow” being pushed again, which led to the 2nd largest U.S. theater chain closing, while the first largest still hasn’t fully re-opened! A terrific, and highly musical “Celebrity Deaths” involves celebrations of a great jazz musician (and subject of an awesome Netflix documentary), songwriter-singer-turned-actor Mac Davis, and 70’s-pop-queen-turned-therapist Helen Reddy! Finally, we transport you back to a certain rooftop in the historic L.A. neighborhood of Los Feliz for the conclusion of Dean and Phil’s ruminations on what filmmakers might make the list of their all-time favorites.
Another show 10 years in the making! Dean Haglund and Phil Leirness ring out 2019 by counting down their Top Ten lists of the Greatest Films of the Decade! Get that popcorn ready (and keep those Netflix queues handy) because we’re going to the movies …
The Academy Award nominations were announced this week and of the eight films nominated for Best Picture, only five ranked highly with critics (“Roma”, “The Favourite”, “Black Panther”, “BlacKkKlansman” and to a far lesser degree, “A Star is Born”). Only one Best Picture nominee finished in the top ten at the box office (“Black Panther”, which was the biggest hit of the year) and only one other even finished in the top 25 at the Box Office (“Bohemian Rhapsody”). What does it all mean? Only that it’s Dean and Phil’s turn! Your friends in podcasting count down their respective Top Ten Films of 2019 during this week’s 88 minute installment of YOUR Chillpak Hollywood Hour!
Your friends in podcasting get 2019 underway with this epic 69 minute installment. As you loyal listeners know, last week, Dean and Phil only got through the first nine months of 2018 as they examined how and when the 52 best films (according to critics) and some of the biggest hits were released. This week, Dean and Phil tackle the final three months of the year, discussing no less than 20 awesome movies. Then, they switch gears to briefly discuss episodic binge-watching, tackling several television shows, including “The Man in the High Castle”, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”, “Norm Macdonald Has a Show” and more! Finally, Dean and Phil wrap things up by celebrating the lives of a brilliant comedic actor, the male half of one of the most iconic recording duos of the 1970’s, and a nun who became a television star. Happy New Year from YOUR Chillpak Hollywood Hour!
Seven important notes about this week’s show:
1) It’s our 600th episode!
2) It features a brand new version of the theme song appropriate to Dean’s relocation to the Motor City.
3) A horrible recording problem leads to a few choppy transitions at the start of the show and to an extremely bad electronic hum during the first 25 minutes or so of the show.
4) We have done the best we can to get rid of the hum and to at least make these first 25 minutes listenable, and you will want to bear with us as those minutes contain very personal conversation between Dean and Phil about things they love lost in the current SoCal fires, what they love that is seriously threatened by those fires, and about a great Canadian actor of Dean’s acquaintance who died this month. There is also a great story about baby diapers!
5) Several amazing movies get discussed – including the Sandra Bullock starring post-apocalyptic, action-horror vehicle Bird Box, the Coen Brothers rather amazing Western anthology feature The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, Alfonso Cuaron’s seminal black-and-white memory piece Roma and Dean and Phil’s very own The Lady Killers, which Dean has finally seen!
6) The show is 72 minutes long, with about 45 minutes of that boasting clean audio!
7) We wish you all a “Malkovich Hug”!
A long-promised “Top Ten” show proved to be so fascinating to your friends in podcasting that they turned it into a 2-part epic! Boasting films from (almost?) every decade of feature filmmaking, this week’s installment will begin the countdown of Dean and Phil’s All-Time Top Ten Comedy Films! There are bound to be crowd-pleasing favorites, silent classics, independent gems and studio blockbusters. So, keep those Netflix queues handy!
Ten years in the making, this episode of YOUR Chillpak Hollywood Hour is the last show of the year, the last show of the decade! And appropriately, Dean and Phil use the occasion to count down their Top Films of the past ten years. The countdown began over on their MySpace Blog where you can read their #’s 20 through 11 selections. Did your favorite film make their list? Did your LEAST favorite film make their list? Perhaps, you’ll discover a gem you’ve never before heard of, OR remember a film that somehow slipped away before you had the chance to view it. Enjoy! And from all of us here at Chillpak Hollywood Hour, have a safe and sane holiday season!